Chief Risk Officer
The Chief Risk Officer (CRO) is a senior executive responsible for the effective independent oversight of SFF risks, under the direction of the Board’s Risk Oversight Committee (ROC). The CRO’s primary responsibility is to develop and implement a risk management framework with appropriate tools for the measurement, reporting and control of SFF’s financial and non-financial risks. The CRO, with input from the CEO and management, will develop a risk appetite framework (as per the Board’s stated risk tolerance) expressed in a limit structure for all business lines. The CRO will also monitor risk-taking activities and report adherence to limits to the ROC. The CRO will collaborate with the CEO while having formal reporting lines to the ROC. The CRO is a member of the Executive Management Team and the Asset and Liability Committee (ALCO).
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide the overall leadership, vision, and direction for risk management.
- Establish an integrated risk management framework for all aspects of risks across the bank.
- Develop risk management policies, including the quantification of the Bank’s risk appetite through specific risk limits.
- Implement a set of risk metrics and reports, including losses and incidents, key risk exposures, and early warning indicators.
- Allocate capital to exposures based on risk, and optimize the bank’s risk portfolio through business activities and risk transfer strategies.
- Improve the bank’s risk management readiness through communication and training programs, performance measurement and incentives, and other change management programs.
- Develop the analytical, systems and data management capabilities to support the risk management program.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business or related field.
- Master’s Degree, FRM or other advanced certification preferred.
- Minimum 15 or more years of combined experience in banking and finance, of which at least five years in risk management related roles. Experience in microfinance operations and specialization in some areas such as credit, operations, foreign exchange/investment is also required.
- In-depth understanding of regulatory compliance requirements. Should be well versed with the regulatory environment. Knowledge in global regulatory environment/practices is preferred.
- French, Haitian Creole and English required.
- Risk Control mindset: Should show mastery of risk disciplines at a bank-wide and integrated level, risk processes, tools and techniques, capital management, risk-related regulations and compliance.
- Technical Knowledge: Should have a strong understanding of statistics and quantitative data analysis methods. Should have an understanding of different risk management related IT/software applications.
- Keen business acumen – Business and financial judgment, and problem-solving skills are crucial requirements.
- Strong process orientation – A strong understanding of banking processes and operations.
- Intellectual curiosity and analytical approach to work.
- Ability to influence a culture of risk awareness in the organization.
- Independent thought leadership to strategic decisions and debate.
- Ability to lead and exercise authority through expertise, and experience, showing both strategic and operational understanding of the business model.
- Strong big-picture and strategic orientation yet detail focused.
- Strong sense of collaboration and ability to develop positive relationships with key business stakeholders and demonstrate respectful, constructive negotiating skills.
- Leadership ability to inspire and motivate others to perform well through continuous feedback.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with proven ability to present and explain complex information and suggest process improvements to a diverse audience including operations and Senior Management and the Board.