The Data Scientist will help Angaza use data to facilitate lending and drive success for distributors of life-changing products in emerging markets. He/she will support the scale-up of the SIMA Angaza Distributor Finance Fund (DFF), which is unlocking capital for small and medium distributors across Africa. The position will also be an integral member of Angaza’s Business Intelligence team reporting to the Director of Analytics and providing mentoring and advice to more junior team members. Finally, he/she will be responsible for surfacing insights into drivers of distributor success and supporting Angaza’s Product team in better serving distributors.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Distributor Finance Fund (DFF): Conduct statistical analyses to drive optimal decision-making across DFF’s risk management lifecycle (sourcing, underwriting, portfolio mgmt)Develop statistical model(s) using end-client transaction data to assess credit risk of PAYG distribution businesses.
- Decision Science: Create forecasting tools for customer performance and customer segmentation by correlating leading indicators with their success.
- Product: Collaborate with our engineering team to develop new data science product features.
- Thought leadership: Set the direction of our data science practice, mentor other data team members, and effectively communicate methodology and findings with internal and external stakeholders.
- Statistics: Well-versed in advanced statistical methods (regression, confidence intervals, classification, linear algebra, Monte Carlo simulation, etc.), with demonstrated professional experience leading the design and deployment of statistical models.
- Programming Skills: Experience deploying data science tools in your preferred programming language. (Our BI and Engineering teams currently operate mostly in Python).
- Credit risk analysis: Experienced in evaluating credit risk (emerging market consumer lending; small/ medium business lending; or PAYG sector knowledge a plus).
- Resourcefulness: Comfortable working to solve ambiguous problems in new subject areas with a flexible approach.
- Cross-functional collaboration: Able to work effectively with others from a range of functions and backgrounds (e.g., customer credit, engineering, and product teams, as well as DFF investors).