Environmental & Social Performance Manager
Alterfin is developing an Environmental and Social Performance Management System (ESPMS) to measure and report their sustainable impact. It aims to map Alterfin’s portfolio based on the social, environmental and financial returns of each investment and measure Alterfin’s additionality vis à vis each investment. Ultimately, Alterfin aims to build a monitoring system to understand the impact on its partners and its partners’ impact on their respective clients (farmers, and MFIs’ clients).
As the Environmental & Social Performance Manager you will be in the driving seat of the development and implementation of the environmental and social impact system within Alterfins’ operations. You will coordinate the roll-out of the ESPMS, the development of appropriate monitoring tools & methods and the respective reporting systems. You will follow-up and continuously improve the internal processes and systems and assist in building the necessary organizational conditions and capacities.
As a professional you will start this new position with a relevant background and skillset and are committed to become the internal expert in sustainable impact metrics and monitoring. During the first year, you will be supported by an external senior consultant.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and oversee the implementation of the environmental and social impact monitoring including data/information collection, analysis and quality control.
- Develop practical tools and instruments for data collection, reporting and analysis.
- Adapt and fine-tune the conceptual design of the ESPM system based on new insights.
- Work with the team and partners to continuously improve the monitoring and evaluation processes and systems.
- Network and liaise with like-minded organizations as well as with colleagues / experts in the field of monitoring & evaluation and environmental & social impact measurement to share experiences and good practices.
- Provide guidance and build capacity of project staff in the effective use of the ESPMS and associated tools, instruments and methods.
- Document the environmental and social impact monitoring process and develop hands-on resource materials for staff and partners.
- Coordinate and/or facilitate internal reflection and analysis meetings/workshops.
- Prepare the aggregation and synthesis of data including the development of relevant database systems, data visualization, dashboard tools, etc.
- Design and implement on the field research to develop case studies looking at the impact of Alterfin and its partners.
- Coordinate the compilation of quarterly, bi-annual or annual progress and summary reports.
- Assist in the development and revision of annual work plans and strategies for the organization.
- Foster the sharing of lessons learned and good practices within the organization.
- Master degree in economics, business, international development, development economics, agriculture, social science or a related field.
- Five-year experience in international development projects, smallholder farmers/cooperatives, social investment companies, monitoring and evaluation, environmental/social impact assessment, applied research in the development field.
- Minimum of two-year experience in managing and coordinating monitoring and evaluation systems at organizational level in multi-country programs.
- Two-year international experience in Africa, Latin-America or Asia.
- Solid experience conducting qualitative and quantitative data analysis, providing oversight of data collection activities, or designing monitoring evaluation tools.
- Strong conceptual, analytical and critical thinking.
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural team.
- Showing entrepreneurship, creativity and initiative.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
- Ability to travel two times per year.