Financial Trainer (Consultancy contract)
PPI is looking for a Financial Trainer on a consultancy basis located in Rwanda in the frame of an EU-funded initiative: “Unlocking the potential of Rwanda's horticultural and coffee value chains to ensure the supply of safe products to local, regional and international markets.” The project is led by the “Istituto per la Cooperazione Universitaria” (ICU)and implemented in partnership with the Kahawatu Foundation, which specializes in working with coffee stakeholders, and PPI. The objective of this project is to contribute to the enhancement of the Rwandan coffee value chain. Specifically, the project aims to support coffee growers and coffee washing stations (CWS) through a collaborative and market-driven approach to increase quality and margins. The intended outcomes of the project are strengthened public and private stakeholders.
PPI’s role in this project is to:
- Implement financial, business and operation management training program for ten selected CWS
- Develop, test, validate and launch new financial products in the local market for farmers and CWS
The Financial Trainer should deliver training and coaching to participating farmers at ten selected Coffee Washing Stations (CWS) in Rwanda. The mission will involve supporting CWS with financial, business and operation management training. Additionally, the Financial Trainer will be required to support the roll-out of new financial products developed, tested, validated and launched in the local market for farmers and CWS. The mission will be based in Rwanda and will require a significant amount of time in the field.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Assist and facilitate the assessment of training needs of selected Coffee Washing Stations (CWS).
- Facilitate and coordinate a study on the financial needs of and financial supply to the coffee value chain in Rwanda.
- Assist in the development of a training programme to professionalize the management of CWS.
- Deliver training programmes to ten CWS in Rwanda and provide follow-up coaching and mentoring in the field for all ten CWS on an ongoing basis.
- Support the logistical organization of a training workshop for financial service providers in Rwanda.
- Facilitate the building of partnerships between farmers at CWS and retail financial institutions.
- Prepare required progress and other relevant reports.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, management, agri-business, social science or another relevant discipline.
- At least four years of experience in agriculture value chain in Rwanda. Specific experience in coffee value chain will be ideal.
- Experience in providing training/coaching sessions to agri-businesses in rural settings.
- Knowledge and experience in professionalizing farmer organizations.
- Experience in conducting field research (organization and facilitation of focus group discussions, individual interviews, expert interviews).
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda and English (written and oral).
- Knowledge and experience in value chain finance, financial product development, agricultural finance would be an asset.
- The ideal consultant must be based in Rwanda with the right to live and work in Rwanda.
- Location: Rwanda.
- Consultancy contract, estimated total staffing days: 300.
- Duration: September 2020 - December 2023.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their cover letter and resume in English to [email protected]