General Manager, Mali
myAgro is moving from scrappy start-up to lean & scaling as it builds out a team to help myAgro scale to 1 million farmers by 2025. Be part of this founding team that gets myAgro to where few organizations have gone before: 1 million smallholder farmers eating and earning more thanks to your (and their) hard work. myAgro needs leaders who love getting mud on their boots while they visit farmers’ fields, and while thinking strategically on how to improve execution at a scale of 500, 1000 and 2000 village entrepreneurs. It needs leaders who think coaching and team development is a core function of their role and love to see their people succeed in new & challenging ways. myAgro needs experienced professionals who will help lead myAgro’s strategy and team to greater heights of impact and scale. In a country with major climate change effects, poor network connectivity, spotty electricity and relatively low levels of infrastructure and agricultural industry, this is not going to be easy.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Lead a smart and savvy team of operations and technical experts.
- Build the team, processes, and systems at scale to deliver operational excellence throughout the organization.
- Lead country-wide operations to drive world-class team performance.
- Oversee the two most important ingredients of success: people and purse.
- Guide the people ops team to implement the systems to manage human resources, as well as the hiring, retention and development of the myAgro team on the ground.
- Visit the field at least once every week observing, learning and sharing feedback to your top field lieutenants.
- Help team members to feel valued and to encourage each of them to learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
- Oversee finances & financial reporting for the country program.
- Develop a rock-solid partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture.
- Build new relationships with institutional funders and other agricultural two stakeholders in the country.
- Collaborate with myAgro partners (CRS, Stromme, Aga Khan) and develop new strategic saving group partners thoughtfully and in alignment with myAgro’s goals. Promote myAgro.
- Maintain strong relationships with leaders in government, NGOs and donors.
- Raise myAgro’s visibility at strategic conferences and meetings and identify opportunities to showcase myAgro’s work nationally and globally.
- Increase earned revenue: myAgro has an awesome development team that secures philanthropic funds countries need to expand.
- Drive strategy for the field team to increase earned revenue (sales!) to lower the philanthropy needed to serve the same region each year. In 2020 each country will bring in more close to $2 million in earned revenue.
- Attend a call or a meeting to help get a deal but you won't be tasked with writing proposals, creating budgets and milestones to meet donor demand.
- Create a positive and productive workplace. One that values hard work, feedback, continuous learning, inclusion and commitment to the work.
- At least 10 years of experience leading systemic change, managing people, budgets and working in global companies or international organizations. Ideally, someone who has lived and worked in Francophone West Africa, preferably Mali.
- Experience managing teams of 200+ and annual budgets of $2 million+.
- Ability to inspire a shared vision for the myAgro team, motivate and guide people, create buy-in and team solidarity, while navigating the challenges of managing a large and diverse workforce.
- Focused and a clear decision maker with strong interest in private-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results. Ability to break goals into manageable objectives and to work with a team to meet Key Performance Indicators.
- Ability to solicit and provide real feedback to the field team on marketing strategy, payment strategies and execution of key activities in the field.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships with leaders in the Ministry of Agriculture and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), spot new talent, help break down silos and connect people to each other to solve problems.
- Agriculture experience preferred.