Ethiopia: Cooperative Societies Proclamation No. 147/1998
This document presents a comprehensive legislation for the organization and management of co-operative societies. It is divided into the following parts.
- Defines various terms and types of societies;
- Lists their objectives and describes their guiding principles.
Part II describes the process of formation and registration of co-operative societies, including:
- Their types;
- Judicial personality and responsibility;
- The by-laws that govern societies;
- The amalgamation and division of societies.
Part III lists the rights and duties of the members of a society, including:
- The necessary requirements for membership;
- Reasons for a member to leave/be dismissed from a society;
- The payment of shares;
- Voting rights;
- Transfer of share or benefit.
Part IV describes the powers and duties of the management bodies of the society that include:
- The general assembly;
- The management committee;
- The control committee.
The remaining parts discuss:
- Special privileges of a society;
- Assets and funds of societies;
- Rules for audit and inspection of societies;
- Procedure to be followed for the dissolution of societies;
- Settlement of disputes;
- Miscellaneous provisions.