Measuring Impact: Subject paper of the Impact Measurement Working Group
This paper aims to provide guidelines to investors for impact measurement. It seeks to demonstrate the application of these guidelines through a series of case studies. The paper provides recommendations for the development of a standardized impact measurement convention and reporting system that would enhance the availability of material, reliable, comparable, additional, and universal impact data. It also articulates a vision and roadmap for the future development of impact measurement and outlines concrete actions and calls upon specific stakeholders to advance roadmap priorities. The paper is based on a six-month consultative and research process including a review of over 60 industry publications and 45 interviews with internal and external experts. It covers the following sections in detail:
- Overview of the state of impact measurement;
- Best practices guidelines that can be currently implemented;
- Case studies illustrating how these guidelines are currently being applied by different investor segments;
- Review of emerging trends that is likely to shape the development of impact measurement;
- Vision of impact measurement in the long term and steps to achieve this long-term vision.