Focus on Poverty
This note explains Consultative Group to Assist the Poor's commitment to the twin objectives of:
- Increasing poverty outreach;
- Increasing impact on poorer people.
Further, the note studies CGAP's activities for deepening the poverty focus of microfinance. It informs about CGAP's key undertakings that include:
- Developing a poverty audit to integrate a poverty focus in CGAP's MFI appraisal format;
- Creating the poverty assessment tool for transparency on the depth of MFI poverty;
- Initiating the Pro-Poor Innovation Challenge program to identify and award small MFIs doing innovative work in deepening poverty outreach and impact;
- Conducting case studies to document MFI innovations for the poorest;
- Conducting action research to improve MFI performance in working with the poor;
- Integrating a poverty module in CGAP donor training;
- Taking out publications that explore the microfinance-poverty nexus.
Finally, the paper provides an overview of CGAP's key activities aimed to serve different stakeholders:
- Funding support through Pro-Poor Innovation Challenge and grants to MFIs;
- Appraisals, business planning support, general strategic advice, and specific technical assistance to MFIs;
- Training and capacity building.
- Member donors:
- Training and capacity building for donors;
- Development of tools and services such as the poverty audit and the poverty assessment tool.
- Technical advice and exchange;
- Tools and Services such as focus notes, publications and an online resource center in the form of the Microfinance Gateway.