Prisma Microfinace Social Benefit Analysis & Social Return - Mini Reader
This mini-reader issued by Prisma Microfinance is comprised of three sections of excerpts from "Social Return on Investment, a Practitioner's Perspective", "Impact Analysis and Social Return on Investment" and "Social Benefits of Public Transit - Evaluating Benefits and Costs of Public Transit Service".
Excerpts from "Social Return on Investment, a Practitioner's Perspective" defines and explains Social Return on Investment (SROI). It also:
- Lists the limitations of SROI that include challenges in the area of:
- Measurement, causality and correlation;
- Longitudinal research;
- Preventive measures.
- Explains the process of implementation of SROI that includes:
- A brainstorming session;
- Creating a flow chart that represents specific variables;
- Quantifying the variable sin the flow chart;
- Calculating SROI.
Excerpts from Prisma Microfinance's business plan, "Impact Analysis and Social Return on Investment", explains:
- The various areas of social impact generated by a Prisma loan that include:
- Human Capital Development;
- Community development;
- Corporate governance;
- Socially responsible market creation.
- Prisma's SROI methodology and analysis, detailing:
- Current quantitative analysis;
- Future quantitative analysis;
- The economic and social indicators that Prisma considers in the qualitative analysis.
Excerpts from "Social Benefits of Public Transit - Evaluating Benefits and Costs of Public Transit Service" describes the factors to consider when evaluating public transit. It:
- Lists the benefits of public transit;
- Identifies factors that affect the degree to which a public transit service provides these benefits;
- Argues that focus on just one or two benefits undervalues the full benefits of public transit;
- Recommends more comprehensive planning that considers a wider scope of benefits and thereby favors transit.