Affordable Technologies for Sustainable Development
This reference document examines the increasing presence of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) in the microfinance sector in India and China. It discusses the following:
The IT sector in India and China and presents a quick overview of the facts and numbers, including:
- Details of a report that highlights ten trends for revenue opportunities in wire line and wireless technologies;
- India's place in the United Nation's (UN) e-readiness index;
- The number of internet surfers in China - 80 million.
Policies and recommendations for ICT sector development, presenting:
- The China Business Summit Report;
- The Summary of the Tenth Five Year Plan;
- Strategies for developing China's software industry.
The contribution of the ICT industry to social and economic development, detailing:
- The opportunities and challenges as seen in:
- The Regional Human Development report;
- The role of ICT in fighting rural poverty;
- ICT's transformation of rural India.
- Various case studies.
The relationship between microfinance and ICT, providing information about:
- The increasing access to microfinance using ICTs;
- Expanding microfinance with digital technologies;
- Providing rural phone service profitably in poor countries;
- The uses of the internet to microcredit loan officers in rural China.
Public-private partnerships, presenting information about:
- The Asian Forum on ICT Policies and e-Strategies;
- Public-private partnerships and financing ICT developments;
- The announcement of microfinance partnerships by international agencies.