Youth Economic Opportunity Ecosystem Analysis: Zambia Country Report
This report is the key output of an assessment implemented in Zambia, as part of YouthStart Global inception phase. The report aims to capture a picture of the youth economic opportunities ecosystem in Zambia by:
- Providing an overview of the employment challenge and demand for financial services:
- Presenting a comprehensive analysis of the demand for and the supply of labor;
- Identifying high-potential opportunities for youth.
It also provides an overview and mapping of the current youth intervention landscape and the supply of financial services, as well as an assessment of key gaps for each of the high-potential opportunities for youth. The key findings presented in the report are:
- Zambia’s labor market is severely demand-constrained; there is a broad consensus that selfemployment and enterprise development will be the mechanisms through which more opportunities for youth are created;
- Accessing capital is a major and consistent challenge limiting youth’s ability to successfully start a business;
- Four sectors have emerged as offering the most promising economic opportunities for youth - agriculture value chain, building and construction, retail and artisanal skills-based and tourism and hospitality.