Consumer Experiences in Branchless Banking
This report presents client experiences of branchless banking in Brazil, Kenya and South Africa. It focuses on issues faced by consumers from vulnerable groups. The surveys gathered data on client profile and uses of branchless banking, major problems and client reactions to the problems. Key findings include:
- Branchless banking services appear to reach the most vulnerable populations across a range of services;
- Clients rarely experience problems and loss of money;
- Liquidity, the most frequently cited problem, is also the most easily fixed;
- Evidence is mixed on whether clients know how to seek redress of problems;
- Clients appear to be willing to use branchless banking over the long term.
The report suggests measures for gathering relevant and useful data on branchless banking to help policy makers and yield more insights.